This linen fabric I bought on my NYC trip last year with the original idea of a dress. You will note this is not a dress....because the dress was a disaster! I think I have finally have learnt the importance of a muslin.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 2180. The dress was supposed to have white piping around the waist band and around the neck and in my head looked lovely. The reality was not so great.
I know the envelope is fugly, but I could see it working, and I will try again soon (with a muslin next time). Unfortunately the fit was not close to the measurements on the pattern. I cut out the recommended size, did an FBA following a tissue fit, but the back was just huge. I also discovered that my fabric would have been too sheer for the skirt. Yes, I know I could have lined it, but that was my excuse to myself to hack it into something different...and the polka dot Sencha was born!
- I changed the neckline to a scoop neckline
- omitted the buttons on the back, I have no idea how one is supposed to do those up, I certainly can't reach! It is easy enough to put over my head anyway.
- I used bias to face the neck edge
- narrow shoulder adjustment
- narrow hem on the sleeves and machine stitched
I still really like this pattern, it is a great little top that I can dress up for work or wear with jeans in the weekend. With the polka dots, I love the retro vibe this has. I like that this is a quick pattern to make up, almost instantly gratifying. I have read online that many people have had issues with the fit, but I think I have this sorted now. This is my third Sencha now, one blogged here and the other not yet blogged and it really does work in a number of fabrics.
Top - made by me, pattern Colette Sencha
Notions - only cotton!
Jeans - Target
PPS - if my posts are sparse over the next couple of weeks it is because I will be away and may not be able to blog