Wednesday 11 September 2013

Frocktails and a new Elisalex

Recently the Aussie blogosphere has been all atwitter with excitement at the idea of Frocktails.  The basic premise - make a dress, wear it and turn up for a night of dinner and cocktails - brilliant!  The lovely Kat of All the Whimsical Things tirelessly organised the event to be held at a local Melbourne restaurant and 28 sewists turned out in self-made dresses and it was fabulous!!

IMG_3074
with Amanda of Bimble & Pimble

I didn't take nearly as many pictures as intended, I guess I was talking too much - so jump across to Mel's blog for more pics and to see everyone's wonderful dresses.

IMG_3073

Needless to say, a new dress was required for the occasion. I settled on another version of the Elisalex, I love my previous version but of course I have already worn that - I needed something new!

Frocktail Elisalex

As I had made it before construction wise I didn't change too much although I did cut a much smaller size in the shoulders, this time was a 6 and grading to a 10 for the rest of the bodice.  I raised the shoulders about 1cm and took a 1" wedge out of the upper back which resulted in a near perfect fit.

Frocktail Elisalex

But my pièce de résistance is the pockets - not only have I put some in, I had an idea (brilliant if I say so myself) of putting an invisible zipper on one so that I could put my cards & cash in for going out.  No more carrying a handbag or worrying where it is when I have had too many cocktails. Genius I say!!  (yep modest much?)

Frocktail Elisalex Frocktail Elisalex
Can you see the zip?? Me neither!!

Whilst I was in Melbourne I also did rather a lot of fabric shopping so I may have to consider a self-imposed ban whilst I do a bit of catch up! Ok, considered and I don't want to be rash, what if something else comes along? ;)

IMG_0003

Look out for next year's meetup in Sydney!!

24 comments:

  1. Love that photo of the pocket! It seriously is a genius idea. I might have to steal it for my new going out dress. It was so lovely to meet you. I am still jealous of that pink cherry fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you properly too, and fab that you were able to get away for a break :)
      I am loving the cherry fabric too, now to find the perfect pattern!!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, shiny, rosy, pretty Elisalex! And that zip pocket is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo! Loving your new Elisalex! The zip pocket is genius. Yours is the first version I've seen with pockets, and I have been looking because I'm half way through making mine. I didn't go with pockets on mine because I don't think my fabric is stiff enough; and it would have been finished by now, but the overlocker cones I need seem to have gone missing in the post! Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pockets weren't too bad to put in, just on a curve but the volume of the dress helps.
      I hope your overlocker cones turn up soon :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great night - we need to do something like this in the UK. And I love the dress, especially the zip up pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to jump on this idea, it was great to be able to talk to everyone about not just sewing!

      Delete
  5. That is a genius idea! You and your dress look so gorgeous. Gosh I wish I had been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - you totally should have been there, I can't believe you got the dates confused :) Next time!!

      Delete
  6. Your dress is amazing. Great print. I hope to meet you when you're in Sydney too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely up for that - now to plan some dates (and some saving)

      Delete
  7. Woot! Looks like a terrific time was had at Frocktails. Your Elisalex is so pretty, the fabric jas such a nice sheen and print. And how super-smart to add an invisible zip to the pocket!!!! Brilliant. I'm so 'borrowing' that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!! Such great colours and patterns on you too - very flattering. And if you didn't think a gal needed a new dress for such an occasion... I would be calling the doctors in! Any excuse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The world of sewing blogs is going to overrun with invisible zip pocket copycats now! Such a genius idea! And your dress was/ is so stunning! This is one of those patterns where fabric choice seems crucial, and yours is perfect :)

    Lovely having a chat and laugh on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous. Genius zip idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your elisalex is amazing and the zip pocket is so genius!.
    We must have similar taste in fabric as I have 3 (yes 3!) of those fabrics in your pile :-)
    Lovely meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is really lovely Liz and the fabric is gorgeous. I am so pleased you all had a ball at Frocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was great to see you :) all cocktail dresses should def come with this modification- you could safely rip up the d-floor without a bag!

    On the bright side, with a stash like that if there is ever an apolocalypse you'll still be fabulously dressed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a dress! :) You need to patent that pocket zipper idea before someone else gets rich off it, it's GOLD i tell ya! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Elisalex!! I so wish I could have gone, but I'm a bit further away than Sydney now :( hopefully when I'm in Melbourne it might be on again, I'd love to hang out with you ladies and talk sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that's it! I am cutting mine out this weekend!!!! I love this dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That Elisalex could not me more perfect for you, Liz!
    And just quietly - that zipper pocket has revolutionsed EVERYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete