Wednesday 18 September 2013

Floaty Flower Power Banksia

I think this is my fifth Banksia top!!  Previous versions here, herehere and here. So sorry for another of the same pattern, but on the plus side you all get to see how easy it is to change this pattern up for different looks!

Floral Floaty Banksia

Can you just tell I love this pattern?  It is such a great basic for making those wardrobe staples that we all need.  Just to let you in on a bit of a secret, I have about three more currently planned so look out for those in the coming weeks.

This time I had an inspiration to draw from, this lovely top from Ruche. If you haven't seen their site, go check it out, they have some gorgeous stuff, but I think the postage to Australia would be a killer, besides I can copy/mimic right??

Inspiration

So as I said, I used the Megan Nielsen Banksia pattern as my base and made the following alterations:
- placed five pintucks around the neckline.  I didn't compensate by adding any extra width to the neckline as I find the top to be roomy in that area on me anyway and I normally pinch some of this out of the pattern
- sewed mini ric rack over the pintucks and around the collar
- omitted the placket (obviously)
- raised the shoulders by ½"
- reduced width of collar (I have always found this collar to be too large and flappy)
- I didn't need to alter the collar length to make it meet in the middle as the pintucks already took out enough fabric out of the neck opening

Floral Floaty Banksia

The fabric is a viscose from my favourite clothing store, Alannah Hill who make fabulous (but expensive) pretty, girly clothes, but also have a clearance store in Melbourne that sell the fabrics.  Whenever I am in Melbourne I make sure I go there.  This fabric is from last year's haul purchases.

Floral Floaty Banksia

I love getting good value out of a pattern - sort of makes up for the duds doesn't it?

PS - the offer is still there if anyone wants V1247 - free going to a good home?? Let me know in the comments.


20 comments:

  1. Very sweet! I adore the pintucks and the mini-ricrac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this hard! The ricrac is adorbs and the fabric? Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! You can't beat a bit of ric rac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I am swooning at the Peter Pan collar with the ricrac edging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Super easy to do too, and gives such a pretty edge :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome 'copy'. Nothing beats a TNT pattern does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely TNT, in fact when sorting out my wardrobe over the weekend I actually found a sixth version

      Delete
  6. Love it! That fabric is awesome. I really want to try this pattern. Especially now after seeing all your awesome versions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best Banksia I've ever seen! I love all the little details you added!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love! Love! Love! Fabric choice is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the Alannah Hill store is my personal heaven - it has amazing gorgeous fabrics and I always have difficulty restraining myself from buying almost everything!

      Delete
  9. I keep meaning to get this pattern but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I love this variation on the pattern - just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to get it, it's so versatile. It it a good staple pattern :)

      Delete