I came across this fabric in my local Spotlight recently and just had to have it. I loved the faded red colour, the floral print and the pattern placement. It is a light polished cotton and feels divine to wear. I know the patter looks a little curtain like, but I don't care!
Again I used good old Simplicity 2444 for the bodice, now that I have the fit perfected for me, this is a nice quick make for me now. I lowered the neckline as I feel this is more flattering for my lady lumps :)
I never seem to bother with the skirt from the pattern so instead this is just a dirndl (gathered rectangle) using twice the full width of the fabric (once for the front, once for the back), gathered and of course with pockets!
One of my favourite things about this pattern is that it doesn't have lots of fancy detailing so the fabric can take be the focus.
This is closer to the real colour
Again, I left off the neck and armhole facings, I really don't like facings, and a bias finish is so much easier if you don't mind seeing a stitching line. This time I used a self-made bias, attaching it so it is visible, basically enclosing the raw edges. I first sewed his to the right side, and then stitched in the ditch to catch in the back.
It's a great dress for meetups too! I wore it for a recent afternoon tea with fellow bloggers, Steph (also of Cake Patterns), Rachel and Reana.
Picture courtesy of mymessings.com
So now, I am off to play with my new toy!
Yep, I bought a cover stitch machine!! I have coveted one of these for ages and now I finally have one, oh the fun things I can make now. I sense a new obsession with stretch fabric in my near future!!