Tuesday 16 April 2013

Vintage Vogue 9463 and a spot of tea

Do you ever go away for the weekend and then find it takes several days to get back on track again?  I went to Melbourne last weekend and still don't feel back on top of things. Why do chores not just do themselves?

Anyway, enough moaning and on to the point!

As you may have heard in the blogosphere, Mel of Poppykettle arranged a high tea (Sewcietea) so that sewers have the ideal opportunity to show off their fancy garments.  What a perfect excuse for a weekend away to Melbourne. I used airpoints and mooched accommodation from my brother, so a cheap weekend away. Plus it was my birthday last week, so it was like a present to myself!

This dress is a combined birthday/Sewcietea dress. The pattern is Vintage Vogue 9463 from 1958. I love the bow detail and the pleating detail on the skirt.



image

I used a light cotton that was a dream to sew, is light to wear, falls beautifully and isn't see through - what more could a girl want from a dress?!  It also went together really well with no major alterations needed.  I think the only change I made was to the sleeves as I didn't have enough fabric to do the cuffs.

image

We had such a lovely afternoon eating little sandwiches, mini savouries and of course dessert!  Check out the pictures of the day here.

image

I am sure I ate too much, but can you really have too much of a good thing?? I had so much fun meeting a bunch of sewers I had previously only chatted to on Twitter or via blogs.  There were 26 of us all up, all in our own homemade dresses.  It was really funny how we were admiring fabrics, finishes, patterns and construction.  There was a lot of turning up dresses to see the seam allowances!!

image

One of the best parts is that it is going to be an annual event!!

PS - thanks to Rachel of MyMessings for taking my blog pics :)

20 comments:

  1. You look lovely and a belated Happy Birthday, what a beautiful dress to celebrate in :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress and with such a lovely backdrop! I hope you had a wonderful birthday too :) See you next year then? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backdrop was fabulous, what a great old building. You will be seeing me next year and hopefully for Frocktails too!

      Delete
  3. It was great to see you! And you already know I think your dress is fab. Hopefully you'll be able to join us for Frocktails too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to meet you in person and I hope to come down for Frocktails - what a great excuse to make a party dress!

      Delete
  4. Really lovely - I've admired this pattern before and I love your red polka dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a wonderful pattern, unfortunately mine is a little too loved and the envelope is very fragile so I have to be super careful.

      Delete
  5. What a fun idea, the sewcietea! I would love to have a meet-up with others sewing bloggers, but it's hard when I live all way over in Sweden.

    Love your dress too! The fit looks great. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun, perhaps with some plannin you could try to get to one in London?

      Delete
  6. What a pretty dress! You look so great in red!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, lady! What a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Liz.. SO proud you treated yourself to such a fun
    get together.
    and your dress is beautiful.. I love, love red/white polka dot..
    The perfect choice for this pattern.. You look lovely.. Happy sewing
    and hope you get back into the groove of things , soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this dress being red and polka dots :)
      I am all good now, back on track phew!

      Delete
  9. Your Vintage Vogue dress is lovely and suits you perfectly. The 1st Sewcie high tea looks like it was a very special afternoon and a great way to meet all your fellow sewing bloggers. Mel is not only a wonderful dressmaker but obviously a great event organiser. She will have to find a bigger venue for next year as I am sure there be many more ladies turning up from all over Australia and maybe NZ as well. I will certainly consider going. I am back from China, so will look forward to catching up with you when you are free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it was a wonderful time, you shold definitely join us next time. I really hope next time goes for longer as time just flew by. I'll email to arrange a catch up

      Delete
  10. Your dress is beautiful! The fabric is gorgeous, but what's not to love about red and white polka dots. And it sounds like you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true, I love polka dots as you may have guessed ;) and the weekend was fantastic

    ReplyDelete