On first glance upon cutting the tissue paper I thought the bodice of this was going to be funky so I made a muslin. Did you hear that? I MADE A MUSLIN! Sorry for the shouting, but usually I just cut straight to the chase, cut my fashion fabric and hope for the best!
This pattern I could tell for sure it wasn't going to fit and boy was I right.
Check out that neck, crazy big, Even cutting a smaller size and doing an FBA wasn't going to fix that hot mess.
To fix this, I made a dart on the neck and then pivoted it to one of the darts at the waist.
I did a tissue fit instead of another muslin and decided to forge ahead.
I am super happy with the fit of this now and am pretty proud that I made it work.
Look how good that bodice fits now, not bad huh?
I first saw and loved this fabric at my local Spotlight store, but hesitated to buy it as I already have loads of fabric, but then when I happened to see it again at a different store and it was on sale, I just knew I had to buy it otherwise I would regret it. It is a cotton sateen with a slight stretch which makes it super comfy. It is also great for twirling!
I changed the back neckline, I am quite partial to a back v-neck, but that is not the reason I did it. My zip was too short so instead of getting another one, I changed it to a v-neck - my Tim Gunn "making it work moment".
- lowering the front neckline as I find it more flattering if you can see my collarbones
- omitting the facings and using bias instead - I really hate facings and although they may have given me a cleaner edge to the neck and armholes I am still fine with that.
- I shortened the bodice by 1/2"
I feel so girly in this :)
I can definitely see me making this again in different fabrics, and wearing it variations with a belt and a cardi for winter.
Overall happiness: 95%