Sunday 23 December 2012

Top 5 of 2012 - The Hits

Top 5 of 2012

Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow had this great idea to post up a bit of a summary of 2012.  What a great idea to review how my sewing has evolved over the past 12 months.

I only started blogging at the end of April this year, the blogging originally started as a way for me to document what I was doing and how I was progressing, but as a result I have met (virtually of course) an amazing bunch of bloggers and readers that are so supportive and friendly - so thank you all!

I have been sewing for many, many years although with many a break too as life got in the way at various times. This time around I seem to be taking it more seriously and making more of an effort with each garment.  Previously I didn't take much time to alter the pattern, I used to cut the pattern larger than needed and then took in various seams as required.  Now, I make the effort to cut smaller shoulders, do an FBA and anything else required to get a better fit. Of course this has resulted in garments I am much happier with and that I wear!

So starting with my favourite garments of the year in no particular order and not including a couple still to be photographed and blogged (these will possibly feature in next year's round up) .

1. My cotton shirt-dress, this is so comfortable and I wear it all the time.  It is great to wear to the office with some nice wedges, or to the mall with ballet flats.

IMG_0840

2.  Then we have my vintage pattern blue dress made to wear to a wedding earlier this year.  I got loads of great comments like "Really, you made it? That's amazing. I wish I could sew." Funny isn't it, I am pretty sure most people could sew if they really wanted to learn.

  IMG_0258

 3. Kelly Skirt - I love this skirt, it is so versatile, dressy and casual depending on what I wear it with. Just a great wardrobe basic. Nuff said!

IMG_0948
  
4. This photograph does not do this Banksia top or fabric nearly as much justice as it deserves, however this is a great top, it gets so much wear.  Made out of Marc Jacobs fabric from Mood in NYC, it is cool, comfortable and pretty. LOVE!

 
IMG_0714
 
5. My Got the Blues jacket.  Of course made to wear with the dress above, however it goes with jeans as well, in fact it goes with lots of things.  I don't probably wear it as much as I would like, but I love the fit, the construction and the cute polka dot lining
 
 
Aside from these made for me items, I recently made these aprons as Christmas presents and the joy I got from giving these was fabulous.  I made these for a friend of mine and her two daughters aged 4 and 2. They love to bake together and they went down a treat.  I made the children's aprons with elastic around the neck and a velcro closure around the waist with the intent that they should be able to dress themselves.  On opening their presents, the kids put them on and started chanting "we match, we match!"  Yay - this is the kind of me-made present I like, one that is really appreciated!!
 
A-eJa3HCQAA3ZBu
 
In the next couple of day I will post up the misses and my goals for 2013, but in the meantime, Happy Holidays!

14 comments:

  1. These are all so cute! What a great year you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blue dress is gorgeous, you look great in it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Love them all...but I think your missing one of my favorite dresses "the red one"..Of course, I think you know I love it!!! ha
    hope you and your family have a blessed and merry Christmas.. and
    look forward to seeing what you make next year.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot the red one until I had sent my post - ok, add it as my 6th favourite!

      Delete
  4. Every is gorgeous, I love the blue coat, and yey to everybody loving their aprons! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I just need to find more occasions to wear the blue jacket!!

      Delete
  5. All gorgeous, gorgeous garments. I hope you and yours had a fabulous Christmas - looking forward to another year of handmade creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and all the best for a great New Years too! I have big plans for 2013 as I am sure you have too!

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely array of me made wins, Lizzie!
    And on a side note, your Kelly skirt is so freaking rad I am finally succumbing to this pattern and am off to buy it now. Bwah ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad I inspired you to buy the Kelly skirt - it is a great pattern and sooo easy!! I look forward to seeing your version.

      Delete
  7. I love that vivid blue on you. And I'm so making a shirtdress in 2013 - my McCalls pattern has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great makes this year! I'm so glad to have met you & look forward to seeing your creations for 2013! ^_^

    ReplyDelete