The year was not all roses for me sewing-wise unfortunately and this post is to share my misses. Yep I am far from perfect and the same for some of my projects.
In order of worst to best:
1. This attempt to make a 1940's pattern from an Australian Home Journal - it was all good until I added the skirt. Then it was so awful that it ended up balled in a corner for two months before being cut up and made into this top. I love the replacement but will have to give the pattern another go as I won't let it beat me!!
2. Flowery, Girly dress - the fit on this is not great. In my defence at the time I was not really reading or following any blogs, if I had I would have known that loads of people had issues with this pattern and might have made a muslin. *sigh* live and learn.
3. My first item I blogged about. I did like the jacket when I first made it and I still think it's...ok, but I am not loving the sleeves. I may refashion it and narrow the sleeves to look a bit more normal.
4. Colette Violet - I never wear this blouse, it just feels too boxy and a bit short. Again, just not feeling the love. Plus the collar seems huge and it is too big across the shoulders. Seriously thinking of refashioning it as I hate things to gather dust in my wardrobe.
5. The Turnaround Blouse - another top I just don't wear. Not really sure the reason, I guess I feel it is not that flattering, plus I didn't have a decent skirt to wear with it. Now I do, but it is the wrong season, perhaps next season? I do really like the fabric so perhaps just need to find a way to wear it in 2013.
So what have I learnt from the above:
- make a muslin more often, especially for vintage patterns
- take care to adjust the pattern to fit i.e. different sizes for shoulders, bust & hips, consider FBA
- think about the pattern more and whether it will suit my shape
- it doesn't matter too much, if I don't like it, it can always be hacked or donated!
What are your fails for the year? Please share and make me feel better!!