Wednesday 12 December 2012

Gap-tastic Cowl for Summer!

Last week I had an overwhelming urge to make the GAP-tastic Cowl (Ravelry notes here)I have had it in my queue for ages and knowing I was going to spend a week in the ice rink (judging the Australian National Figure Skating Championships), I decided I simply had to have it NOW!

IMG_1050

My only problem was time. I really didn't end up with as much time as I thought to finish it, so a 4 days after Nationals finished I finished the cowl. Timing huh?

IMG_1056

I used a Cascade 128 Superwash from Tangled Yarns in Brisbane and knitted on size 9mm needles. This wool is soft, warm and great to knit up, the colour is a darkish duck egg called Summer Sky Heather.  

IMG_1058

Do you like how well the cowl goes with my Hazel?  Hehe.  Hopefully I will be going to Europe in March so will be able to wear it then.

The only changes I made to the pattern was my finished width was 12" instead of the pattern's 15". I found that 12" was plenty and much more would have made it too chunky for my neck.  The bonus with the lesser width was less wool, I used just over two skeins, but two would have been fine. I bought four skeins with the view to making a matching hat or wristwarmers, or both.

IMG_1070

I love how it can be a hat too - this is soooo toasty and warm, I am looking forward to trying it out in a more appropriate climate!!   Anyone got any good recommendations for hat or wristwarmers that use this weight wool??

Now to get back to my other project, the Lorna Suzanne cardi - gee 5mm needles feel small now :)

7 comments:

  1. It looks awesome Lizzie. Can't wait to start mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice fast project, satisfying from a knitting point of view as most of my knitting projects take months!

      Delete
  2. This looks fab, Lizzie! Have a blast at the figure skating championships. So much glitter and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skating champs were lovely, it is always fun to be involved and the level of ability just gets better and better!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I find it a really soothing shade and a bit more cheerful for winter (when it comes!)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lizzie! What length circular needle did you use? I'm determined to tick knitting off my new year list!!

    ReplyDelete