Sunday 1 July 2012

Got the Blues - part 1

I received this delightful pattern via Etsy recently and when I had a wedding to go to I knew that it would be the beginning of a great dress.

As it was a wedding I wanted to be bright and cheerful, but it is winter too so had to keep that in mind as the last week's weather has been terrible.  I picked out a gorgeous electric blue cotton fabric, it also has kind of a waffle pattern to the fabric and a slight stretch, and decided to make a dress with matching jacket with a bit of a 60s feel.


The belt is taken from the Tilly and the Buttons Bow Belt Tutorial as I thought it would finish the dress nicely.  As you can see I changed the skirt from the original pattern to make it more of a 60s style straight design.  The only other pattern alteration was a FBA and an increase to the waist (as I find I need with all vintage patterns). 


 I also finished the kick pleat with another bow as there had to be one in the back too!!


I also made a jacket to go with it, but it was a gorgeous day and I didn't need it so I have no pictures yet.  I will post these as Part 2 later in the week.


 Loving the kick pleat!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful dress! Just seen this over at Sew Retro and had to have a closer look! Love the colour and the bows and the kick pleat... in fact everything about it. Looks great on you. I bet you had loads of comments at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab dress. I'm making one in a very similar colour and style right now, I might nab you're bow on the kick pleat idea as I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you finish, I'd love to see the result.

      Delete
  3. Love this dress.Looks great on you. The blue fabric is beautiful Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this is beauuuuutiful! I'm so chuffed you finished it with a bow belt too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am so glad you found this, I keep meaning to send you an email and kept forgetting!! I received lots of great comments about the bow belt.

      Delete