Wednesday 6 June 2012

New (old) Dressmaking Book

I just received this fabulous book in the mail today via eBay!  It is a 1971 reprint of a book originally printed in 1951.  

The book is a fantastic resource of patternmaking, it commences with showing you how to create your own block:


It then goes on to show you how to modify the blocks to achieve different looks by moving darts, slashing and spreading, adding yokes, and pleats etc




I love the cape sleeves and the false collar shown above.  I feel I will be trying some of these patterns soon.

The book also goes into sleeve details, collars, coats, jackets and playsuits.  According to the writer of the book, I can become sufficiently skilled "merely by diligent perusal of this book".  Sounds good to me!  I already have a basic understanding of pattern-making having studied it years ago whilst still at school, but this book has already shown me so many ways to achieve the vintage details that I really like and I look forward to trying some of these techniques soon.

I hope you all enjoyed my sharing of this book.



2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic book.. I know you are enjoying it.. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so enjoying going through all the pictures and diagrams and making plans!

      Delete